I’m constantly trying to figure out gluten-free, dairy-free dishes to serve our small group that meets weekly. We share a meal each time we meet and always have dessert. Our group has many dietary needs, and this simple baked cinnamon apple recipe has been an easy treat everyone in the group can enjoy.
Made with only three ingredients and no added sugar, this easy baked cinnamon apple dessert is delicious. It’s also healthier than the average dessert. The apples can be served alone or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (I try to have dairy-free ice cream on hand for our small group).
These baked cinnamon apples are also a great recipe for kids. It is still delicious when served cold the next day… if you have any left. You can even throw it in some oatmeal in the morning for breakfast.
Now let’s get to the recipe!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
Pin it for later
Now put on a cute apron and tie back your hair… since there is nothing grosser than a strand of hair in your baked apples. YUCK!
- Ground Cinnamon– This is an important ingredient. I like a tablespoon of cinnamon, but you can use less depending on your taste.
- Coconut Oil– I chose just under 1/4 cup of coconut oil because it is dairy-free. I have also successfully used half a stick of butter (1/4 cup) in this recipe. I think it tastes better, but it is no longer dairy-free.
- Apples– Any six apples work in this, but I prefer the sweeter and tarter apples. I used a mixture of Honeycrisp and Granny Smith for this recipe, but you could use whatever you have. I seem to find new kinds of sweet, delicious apples every time I go to Costco.
Peel your apples. You can use a peeler or slice them and peel them with a knife. Whatever you choose, be careful. I get carried away and stop paying attention and cut my knuckles every time I use a peeler.
Cut your apples into bite-sized chunks. You can leave them larger, but I enjoy them smaller. They cook faster and are easier to eat. Place them into a bowl.
Mix coconut oil and cinnamon in a bowl or measuring cup. Make sure the coconut oil is not in solid form. If you live somewhere cold as I do, you will need to heat it up a little.
In a 9×13 baking dish, pour the mixture over the apples and mix it together so that every apple is coated.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Mix the apples after about 15 minutes. You will know that the easy cinnamon baked apples are done when they are golden in color and soft when you put a fork in them.
Serve this easy cinnamon apple dessert plain or with vanilla ice cream. I try to have a vegan option and a low-carb option when I am hosting friends. You can even use it as a replacement for apple pie. It is delightful with a cup of coffee.
***Bonus tip- Thanks to our small group, a scoop of ice cream in my coffee has become one of my favorite things in the world. Try it… you will thank me!
Easy Baked Cinnamon Apples
- 1 9×13 baking dish
- 1 measuring cup
- 6 apples I use Honeycrisp and Granny Smith
- ¼ cup coconut oil I use a little less than this
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon adjust to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° Fehrenheit
- Peel apples
- Chop apples into bite sized chunks
- In a measuring cup, mix ¼ cup coconut oil (Make sure the coconut oil in not in the solid form. You may need to heat it.) and 1 tbsp cinnamon together.
- Coat the apples with the coconut oil mixture. I do this in the baking dish, so I have fewer dishes to wash. I'm all about easy!
- Put it in the oven to bake for about 30 minutes. Halfway through, stir it to move everything around. You will know it is finished when it is golden and soft when you put a fork in it.
- Serve in a bowl, plain or with vanilla ice cream.