I’m constantly trying to figure out gluten-free, dairy-free dishes to serve our small group that meets weekly. We share a meal each time we meet and always have dessert. Our group has many dietary needs, and this simple baked cinnamon apple recipe has been an easy treat everyone in the group can enjoy.
Made with only three ingredients and no added sugar, this easy baked cinnamon apple dessert is delicious. It’s also healthier than the average dessert. The apples can be served alone or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream (I try to have dairy-free ice cream on hand for our small group).
These baked cinnamon apples are also a great recipe for kids. It is still delicious when served cold the next day… if you have any left. You can even throw it in some oatmeal in the morning for breakfast.
Now let’s get to the recipe!
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
Pin it for later
Now put on a cute apron and tie back your hair… since there is nothing grosser than a strand of hair in your baked apples. YUCK!
- Ground Cinnamon– This is an important ingredient. I like a tablespoon of cinnamon, but you can use less depending on your taste.
- Coconut Oil– I chose just under 1/4 cup of coconut oil because it is dairy-free. I have also successfully used half a stick of butter (1/4 cup) in this recipe. I think it tastes better, but it is no longer dairy-free.
- Apples– Any six apples work in this, but I prefer the sweeter and tarter apples. I used a mixture of Honeycrisp and Granny Smith for this recipe, but you could use whatever you have. I seem to find new kinds of sweet, delicious apples every time I go to Costco.
Peel your apples. You can use a peeler or slice them and peel them with a knife. Whatever you choose, be careful. I get carried away and stop paying attention and cut my knuckles every time I use a peeler.
Cut your apples into bite-sized chunks. You can leave them larger, but I enjoy them smaller. They cook faster and are easier to eat. Place them into a bowl.
Mix coconut oil and cinnamon in a bowl or measuring cup. Make sure the coconut oil is not in solid form. If you live somewhere cold as I do, you will need to heat it up a little.
In a 9×13 baking dish, pour the mixture over the apples and mix it together so that every apple is coated.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes. Mix the apples after about 15 minutes. You will know that the easy cinnamon baked apples are done when they are golden in color and soft when you put a fork in them.
Serve this easy cinnamon apple dessert plain or with vanilla ice cream. I try to have a vegan option and a low-carb option when I am hosting friends. You can even use it as a replacement for apple pie. It is delightful with a cup of coffee.
***Bonus tip- Thanks to our small group, a scoop of ice cream in my coffee has become one of my favorite things in the world. Try it… you will thank me!
Easy Baked Cinnamon Apples
- 1 9×13 baking dish
- 1 measuring cup
- 6 apples I use Honeycrisp and Granny Smith
- ¼ cup coconut oil I use a little less than this
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon adjust to taste
- Preheat oven to 350° Fehrenheit
- Peel apples
- Chop apples into bite sized chunks
- In a measuring cup, mix ¼ cup coconut oil (Make sure the coconut oil in not in the solid form. You may need to heat it.) and 1 tbsp cinnamon together.
- Coat the apples with the coconut oil mixture. I do this in the baking dish, so I have fewer dishes to wash. I'm all about easy!
- Put it in the oven to bake for about 30 minutes. Halfway through, stir it to move everything around. You will know it is finished when it is golden and soft when you put a fork in it.
- Serve in a bowl, plain or with vanilla ice cream.
Looking for another festive gluten-free, dairy-free dessert option? Try our pumpkin hummus dip! Or these Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Balls.
A great recipe! Would like to chop these up and throw into some ice cream – good way to get the kids to eat some fruit.
Such an amazing and easy recipe. Thank you for sharing it.
You are welcome!
Yummm! Love me some baked apples and so great for friends with dietary restrictions.
Yes! And they are easy to make too!
I love that there’s no additional sugar in these baked apples, it’s definitely not needed as they come out deliciously sweet with just the cinnamon!
Yes, they do! Apples are my favorite kind of sugar!
Very simple and effective use of the apples on my counter. I served with a keto friendly ice cream and a generous sprinkling of toasted almonds. It was delicious. The best thing, no sugar in these apples!
Yum! Toasted almonds are a wonderful idea! I’m trying that next time.
So delicious and easy to make !
It’s so easy!
These cinnamon apples are not only delicious but also healthy. Love the choice of apples. Served with ice-cream and we have a perfect dessert. Thanks for sharing this easy sweet-treat idea.
these sound delicious cannot wait to share it with family and friends who have dietary restrictions
It’s one of my favorites.
Oh I love apples and this recipe looks amazing! Can’t wait to try it out – thanks for sharing!!
I hope you love it! Let me know how it turns out.
love how simple and tasty these apples turned out! will make again!
I’m so glad you liked them!
These apples look delicious. Perfect for trimming some calories in the new year!
Yes! I’ve become accustomed to dessert after every meal… I need something a little bit healthier!
Great idea! I make my own pumpkin spice so I think it would work great in this recipe. 🙂
I hadn’t thought of that! I’ll have to try it!
So simple and delicious. Love the coconut oil flavor in this recipe!
Love the combination, especially during cold days! Thanks for sharing!
Yes! It’s perfect for the winter.