This Pumpkin Eater Pumpcakes recipe is easy to make and produces the most addictive Pumpkin chocolate chip muffins ever. Based on a Libby’s recipe on the back of the canned pumpkin in 1972, this recipe has stood the test of time. It is easy to make and turns out moist and delicious every time. You won’t be able to eat just one.
This recipe was introduced to me when I was in my 20s. A group of friends and me were learning to quilt. The woman who shared this recipe significantly impacted me with her hospitality. I pretty much want to be her when I grow up.
You can find that story here ———->>>> An Easy Way To Build Community
This is the number one recipe that I get requests for every fall. I am hesitant to put this out here because now my friends from far away won’t have to text me for the recipe. So, if you are one of those people, please do me a favor and text me when you make them.
How Many Pumpcakes Does This Recipe Make?
This delicious Pumpkin Eater Pumpcakes recipe makes two dozen regular-sized cupcakes or 48 mini-muffins. I prefer them in mini-muffins. They are bite-sized and perfect for taking to a potluck. The small size allows everyone to have a taste while sampling other treats. Although, I’m confident that after eating one of these little pumpkin chocolate chip treats, they will return for more. I often make a pan of each!
What Ingredients Do I Need For Pumpkin Eater Pumpcakes?
- Spice Cake Mix- Any brand of Spice Cake Mix will do. I buy whatever is on sale. Make sure you check the oven temperature on the box and follow that.
- Canned Pumpkin- A version of this recipe was originally on the back of Libby’s canned pumpkin, but any brand will work. Although, in my mind, it tastes better when I make it with Libby’s. Make sure you use 100% pumpkin and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Eggs- Two of them
- Water- You probably have some of this already!
- Chocolate Chips- I prefer semi-sweet. I think it brings out the pumpkin spice flavors the best. You can use more if you like it more chocolatey. I have a kid who doesn’t prefer too many. Sprinkling some on top before you cook it makes them look professional. I didn’t do that this time.
- Cool Whip- These are best when topped with Cool Whip. Sometimes I serve a little cup on the side so people can top it themselves.
How To Make Pumpkin Eater Pumpcakes
This is seriously so easy to make and turns out delicious every time. Now put on that cute apron. (I always try to dress the part, it makes me feel more domestic) Wash your hands (don’t be gross) and maybe tie back your hair… just in case.
This post contains affiliate links. As an Amazon affiliate, I may earn compensation when you click on the links at no additional cost to you.
The first thing you do is dump all of the ingredients except the chocolate chips into the bowl.
Once you have mixed it with a hand mixer or by hand for about two minutes, stir in the chocolate chips.
Grease and flour the pan or use cupcake liners. Cupcake liners are my preferred method. Use a large (3 tablespoon) Cookie scoop to fill the muffin tin. Using a mini muffin tin? Use a medium cookie scoop to fill them evenly.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Check the cake mix box and adjust the time and temperature based on the instructions on the box. Make sure a toothpick comes out clean. Watch out for the melty chocolate chips.
Let the Pumpkin Eater Pumpcakes cool. You can eat them warm, but I think the best way to enjoy these is chilled and topped with Cool Whip.
I topped this one with Cool Whip and candy corn (because I have a problem and usually always have candy corn in my house in the Fall)
Tools to Make Things Easier
My cookie scoops are the number one tools I can’t live without. They make it much easier to make all kinds of things, especially these pumpcakes! If you don’t already have some, you can buy them from Amazon by clicking this link.
While this is my all-time favorite recipe, If you are short on ingredients or looking for a vegan option, you can try this Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mini Muffin recipe that only involves 3 ingredients and is quite delicious. You can get the full recipe here:
Click Here ——->>>Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
Pumpkin Eater Pumpcakes
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 hand mixer or stand mixer
- 1 wooden spoon
- 2 muffin pans
- 1 box Spice Cake Mix
- 1 cup Canned Pumpkin
- 2 Eggs
- 2/3 cup Water
- 1 cup Chocolate Chips
- 1 8 0z container Cool Whip
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit
- Grease and flour muffin pan or use cupcake liners
- Combine cake mix, pumpkin, eggs, and water
- Mix at medium speed for 2 minutes with a mixer. You can also beat it by hand if you don't have a mixer
- Using a large cookie scoop, fill each cup ⅔ full (about 3 tbs) or use a medium cookie scoop for mini-muffins
- Bake 15-20 minutes (or follow cooking instructions on spice cake box)
- Remove pumpcakes from pans after 10 minutes and let cool
- Refrigerate until ready to serve
- Top with Cool Whip and enjoy!
- Now try to eat just one!